I have been collecting photos from this build all year, but I seem to have lost most of them which is extremely annoying. I’ve managed to gather together as many as I can find.

I really wanted to build a wood burner using an old gas bottle as a base. I also wanted to make it for nothing, finding all the materials rather than buying anything.  That’s why it’s taken me so long; I’ve been looking for something to use for a chimney for almost 4 months.
Finding the bottle was the easy bit, I actually sourced it over 3 years ago when I lived in Leighton Buzzard. It had been dumped in the hedge along the bypass. I chucked it in the back of my Golf and it sat in my garden for a year. I attempted to let the remaining gas out by opening the tap a tiny bit but almost gassed everyone in our house. Eventually I connected it up to a camping cooker and used the gas that way.

1450966_10151799511232987_2043921222_n

To make absolutely sure it wasn’t going to explode in my face as soon as I put a cutting disc to it, I drip-filled it with water. I couldn’t get the valve out, it was too tight, so I had to turn the hosepipe on so it was dripping water into the open valve. It took 3 weeks to fill.
Despite knowing it was full of water and waving a blowtorch in front of the valve to make sure there was no residual gas in it, it was still scary as fuck to cut into.
10259126_10152181435117987_6452691443122357841_o
10339372_10152181197217987_8306595753273431505_o

I wanted to use as many parts of the bottle as I could, so I cut off the valve shroud and base. I cut the base in half and used that for the legs and most of the hinge is made from parts of the shroud.
10272658_10152188879077987_280140545188999729_o
10269229_10152215478682987_8289462111531658329_o

The final piece was a chimney. This was the bit that took the longest to source as it needed to be a fairly specific size and free. Luckily my buddy Andrew found this bit of tubing that was perfect. All I had to do was cut a hole in the end and weld the chimney in. I’ve sunk it into the burner a little so all the heat doesn’t escape straight up the chimney.

05.12.14-9

05.12.14-11

05.12.14-13

05.12.14-16

05.12.14-15

05.12.14-17

Finally, the finished article. I can’t wait to test it out. The idea behind this whole project was to make a burner to heat my workshop in the winter. I need to find some ducting to take the smoke out of the workshop, but other than that, it’s ready to go!

05.12.14-18

05.12.14-19

Advertisements